Sunday, January 1, 2017

Hummus tacos with some sides

I didn't cook anything notable for a couple days.  Trying to transition to a more plant-based diet is difficult with children.  They have extremely limited palettes to begin with, and I want them to keep eating the healthy foods they already eat.  They also need protein and they do not like meat-alternative sources of protein enough for me to stop making meat and dairy for them.  So lately I have been a bit of a short order cook, which is fine.

Tonight I tried homemade hummus for the first time.  These are my ingredients:

A lime (because I didn't have a lemon), tahini, garlic, a can of chick peas, and turmeric (because I didn't have cumin and I don't know turmeric seemed hummusy?)
Almost forgot these guys!  Olive oil and salt
I put it all in the food processor and went to town!  I read something about skinning the chick peas.  Come on!  I used a lime instead of a lemon, you think I skinned the chick peas?
I cut up some veggies I had around - a cucumber, a roma tomato, red pepper, yellow pepper...

I rosted some sweet potato fries and broccoli

I put it in a warm tortilla.  This was the end result!  I also put some black olives on the plate.  My taco dressing?  Hidden valley ranch MoFo!

Hummus:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup tahini
1 can chick peas
the juice of a lime
some salt
some turmeric
Blend it up and eat!

Veggies roasted as per Bittman.  When in doubt, BITTMAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment